Prison & Hangmans Field
The plaque is situated on the Travellers Joy Public House in Downhall Road.
Until 1940 Rayleigh Prison (the property was called Louisa Terrace and/or The Barracks)stood here whilst opposite once stood the Gallows in an area known as Gallows Mead or Hangman's Field.
Thomas Lingood, of a well respected local family, claimed to have revealed the stumps of the gallows and ghostly stories and unusual occurences are still claimed to this day.
© Rayleigh Through the Looking Glass