The Rayleigh Cinema/Cosy Theatre/Regal Cinema
Adapted from part of Miss Coller's School for Young Ladies, "The Cosy" ran alongside Bellingham Lane - formerly Back Lane, until renamed by the Bellingham family, who lived on the corner.
With piano accompaniment it showed silent films from 1925 and later 'talkies'. Prior to the second world war, the "Regal" took its place and showed popular films until demolished in 1973.
This gave its name to "Homeregal House" on which the plaque is affixed. Mill Hall also stands on part of the old cinema site.
© Rayleigh Through the Looking Glass