Barringtons Cottages & Market
The cottages date from 1553 or earlier and were used by forest workers who, until c1600, maintained Rayleigh's Royal Park where kings, queens and nobility hunted.
It is thought that the market may have originated at the time of the Doomsday survey but the earliest date recorded for the market is 1181 in the reign of King Henry. It was originally held in Rayleigh's wide High Street which may date back to Saxon times.
Between the two great wars the market moved to its present location at Hockley Road Car Park, where it continues the great tradition of weekly trading. The licence for the market has recently changed from Rochford District Council to Rayleigh Town Council and negotiations are currently in hand (May 2011)to move the market to the Lagoon(outside Martins) in the High Street later in the year pending consultation on a permanent site.
© Rayleigh Through the Looking Glass