Through the Looking Glass
Rayleigh’s Lost Public Houses
We are lucky to have many fine hostelries in and around town meeting the various needs of the customers. However we have also lost many over the years.
Do you remember any? Do you have any memories? We would love to hear from you.
Once one of the premier coaching inns in town
located next to Kingsleigh House.
Also called the Lyon, Red Lion and Golden Lion.
Ceased trading in 1930.
Close by where the Factory Shop is today.
Demolished in the 1960s.
The Elephant & Castle
On the corner of Castle Road and the High St.
Closed in 1923 and the licence was transferred
to the Weir Hotel.
Briefly glimpsed on the right hand side of this photo.
The Drovers Arms
On the Hockley Road close by Nelson Road.
Demolished in the early 20th century
As the name suggests drovers stayed overnight
with their sheep penned in the field by the side
Picture shows a wedding party outside the pub
The Bull (next to the Lion) from c1560 to 1791, The Green Bough by Mount Pleasant London Hill, The Three Horseshoes near Holy Trinity Church, The Five Bells Hockley Road, the Plough & Sail opposite the Salvation Army, The King’s Head near Holy Trinity Church on the site of Bowen’s Tea shop, The Angel unknown location, the Three Cups location unknown & the Bricklayer’s Arms Trenders Avenue.
The Half Moon was originally called the Greyhound.
Mention must also be made of the Old Anchor Brewery known as Lukers located between Dairy Crest and Love Lane. Demolished in the 1920s.
|Slide Shows 2013|
|Slide Shows 2014|
|February 2009 - Cinema|
|March 2009 - Windmill|
|April 2009 - Citizen of the Year|
|May 2009 - Operatic & Dramatic Society|
|June 2009 - Heritage Plaques|
|July 2009 - Pubs|
|August 2009 - Roadworks|
|September 2009 - Lost Heritage|
|October 2009 - Walking Quiz|
|November 2009 - Speedway|
|December 2009 - Christmas Cards|
|January 2010 - High St Trio|
|February 2010 - Transport|
|March 2010 - 1953|
|April 2010 - Then & Now|
|May 2010 - Milestones|
|June 2010 - Sport|
|July 2010 - Heritage Plaques|
|August 2010 - Exhibition|
|September 2010 - Animals|
|October 2010 - Businesses|
|November 2010 - Ephemera|
|December 2010 - A127|
|January 2011 - Weather|
|February 2011 - Recent Discoveries|
|March 2011 - High Street|
|April 2011 - Signs|
|May 2011 - Roads|
|June 2011 - Love Lane School|
|July 2011 - Bath Chair Murder|
|August 2011 - Exhibition|
|September 2011 - Dutch Cottage|
|October 2011 - Market|
|November 2011 - Notice Board|
|December 2011 - Eastwood Rd|
|January 2012 - Hockley Road|
|February 2012 - Emergency|
|March 2012 - Railway|
|April 2012 - Local Politics|
|May 2012 - Tower Views|
|June 2012 - Royalty|
|July 2012 - Mount|
|August 2012 - Exhibition|
|September 2012 - Churches|
|October 2012 - Plaque Relocation|
|November 2012 - WW1 & WW2|
|December 2012 - Christmas|
|January 2013 - Floods|
|February 2013 - Bellingham Lane|
|March 2013 - Air Crash|
|April 2013 - London Hill|