Rayleigh

                         Through the Looking Glass

Home. Slide Shows. News & Events. Contact. About Us. Charitable Donations. April Update - Heritage Plaques. Shop. Links.

Heritage Trail

Finally we have the water trough , principally for horses, which arrived in town in the early 1920’s just as the combustion engine became popular and a regular bus service started.

The High Street Trio

At the junction of Crown Hill  and the High St opposite the Crown Hotel (c. 1740) are 3 monuments to Rayleigh's past heritage.



Firstly  the Town Water Pump - Originally white but now painted black, originates from a time when only the landed gentry had wells on their property as a water supply.


The less fortunate had to carry a bucket to fill up with water for the town pump.

In the middle of the trio stands the Martyrs  Memorial, erected in 1908 in commemoration  of the 2 locals who in 1555 were burnt at the stake near this spot for their Protestant beliefs.

Want to know more?

Send us an email (see contact page) or  read one of the many history books on our Town available in the Local Studies area of the Library.

Previous Updates

January 2010 Update - High Street Trio