Through the Looking Glass

Home. Slide Shows. News & Events. Contact. About Us. Charitable Donations. September Update - Comedy 2. Books. Links.
December 2010 Update - A127

The Southend Arterial Road (now the A127) was opened on March 25th 1925. It was the first road in this country

built specifically for motorised vehicles (rather than horse drawn as before) and was opened by

Prince Henry of Gloucester who at that time was the only member of the Royal Family interested in those

‘new fangled motorised vehicles’. This is why the last part near Southend is called Princes Avenue.

A new Heritage Plaque has recently been sited by the entrance to the Weir Pub commemorating the opening.

Please click on the thumbnails below to page through some pictures.

Detail at the bottom of each one

Previous Updates