Rayleigh

                         Through the Looking Glass

Home. Slide Shows. News & Events. Contact. About Us. Charitable Donations. April Update - Heritage Plaques. Shop. Links.

Heritage Trail

October 2012 Update - Trinity Fair Heritage Plaque Relocation

In 1970/71 the Natural History & Antiquarian Society (now the Historical Society of Rayleigh) together with Sweyne (now Sweyne Park) School arranged for 6 heritage plaques to be erected around town to commemorate  significant people, places & events.

One of the plaques related to the Trinity Fair which was held in the High St and had a charter dating back  to 1227. This plaque was erected in the middle of the High St on the wall of what was for many years Manns the Grocers by the junction with Bellingham Lane. Shortly after this the building was scheduled for demolition and it was decided to relocate the plaque to what was then the North Thames Gas Board showroom  in the High St opposite Crown Hill. Although the building demolition was subsequently reprieved the plaque stayed in its new location.


For sometime we have wished  to return the plaque to its original location and had obtained the support  and agreement of Rayleigh Town Council for this.  As both buildings involved are Grade 2 Listed status it was necessary for  planning applications to be submitted to Rochford District Council, firstly for the removal and secondly to erect it back where it belongs.

The plaque was originally unveiled on 17th October 1970 and  what better date to hold a ‘re-unveiling’ ceremony than exactly 42 years later on the same date, 17th October 2012 when at 9am the Chairman of Rayleigh Town Council, Robin Dray will officiate.


Please click on the thumbnails below to see some relevant pictures

Previous Updates